Saturday, August 13, 2011

My water smells like a swimming pool

My parents have a well, which pumps out the best-tasting water in the world; my brothers and sisters and I love to go home just to drink the water. My grandma, who lives just across the field, has a well too--and her water tastes like rotten eggs. I'm not sure what makes the difference.

But I live in the city, and do not have the luxury of well water. This didn't bother me too much until recently, although I did finally install a filter under the kitchen sink so my husband would be able to drink the tap water without absolutely having to add lemon juice. It's been a ridiculously hot, dry summer, however, and I suppose the city has had trouble with its water supply, because lately I've noticed that the water in the rest of the house seems more and more chlorinated. Take, for example, the water in the bathroom. Can you recall the smell of a hotel swimming pool? That's what I get now when I wash my face...or brush my teeth...or take a shower. I guess, since I haven't had a chance to swim all summer, that I should count it as a blessing in disguise. But really, who wants to taste "swimming pool" first thing in the morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment